Monday, August 25, 2008

Stari grad Visoki/Old Town of Visoki

It was cloudy yesterday and it got colder. My husband and I thought it was a great weather for longer walk. So we went to a small town Visoko which is about half an hour away from Sarajevo by car. Visoko is the town of rich historical heritage. It is named after the Visoki Castle and The Old Town of Visoki which was a famous medieval royal castle town during XIV century. The first mention of the town was in 1355 but it is believed that it was built even earlier. It was used by Bosnian bans and kings as a ruler's residence from which several official charters were written to other states.


On these three photos above you can see some details of the Old Town of Visoki that have been excavated.

The fortress and town of Visoki are located at the top of Visočica hill at a height of 766.5 meters. From this place the view of the plains below and red roofs of the houses is just beautiful.

On our way back, just when we came down from the hill, we heard the barking of dogs and then we saw a roe-deer running away down the slope. In another minute the poor animal found itself on the road just in front of us, ran across the road rushing towards the forest. Everything happened so quickly and I was happy that I managed to take this photo. But I was exciting the most for the fact that the roe-deer managed to run away from three hunting dogs that was hunting it.

If you take a good look you can see the dogs on this photo.

Please click on any of the photos to enlarge it.

10 comments:

Lara said...

beautiful images! as for the deer, this is why I have a "stop hunting" sign on my page! I think is cowardice of humans to keep hunting nowadays...

Joy said...

I can feel the history of this place through your photos. Well taken!

Thanks for visiting Norwich Daily Photo and leaving your kind comments. Hope it's not a manic Monday for you!


joy

photowannabe said...

Love the fascinating history in those shots. It looks like a wonderful place to hike.
Good you caught the deer in flight. I'm not a big fan of hunting either.

Michele said...

Oh my goodness. The details of this landscape is fascinating. I would love nothing more to visit here and to learn more of it... incredible photos. Very good photography.
~Michele~
Mountain Retreat

Pietro Brosio said...

A very fine trip you tell us through these splendid images.
About the deer, I really hope he survived the hunters' barbarity.

Oman said...

wow. i wanna be there and explopre the place medam. great shots too.

sorry for not visiting these past few days because i used the 3-day weekend we had in our country to wander around my neigbouring towns and city.

have a great day ahead.

Anonymous said...

I love to go with you on these virtual excursions. So much to see and so much fun! Thank you!

Paz xxoo

JB's Big and Small Worlds said...

Those are some very interesting and old ruins. I am glad the deer got away.
--JB

Max-e said...

Visoki looks like an amazing place. As for the dogs, I wish people would keep better control over their animals. Once a dog gets that hunting instict going it never stops.

Unknown said...

A wonderful place to explore and take photos.
Your photos are fantastic.