Saturday, April 19, 2008

Roman Bridge


The Rimski Most („Roman Bridge“) over the Bosna river was built in the 16th century. It can bee seen from the main road that leads to the entrance of Sarajevo from its west side.
The bridge is about 40 metres long and 4, 5 metres wide and it has 7 archs. There is assumption that there was once a bridge at the same place during Romans Empire and that today's bridge was built on the same foundation of the previous one by Ottoman's builders using Roman stones that were left there. But that still hasn't been proved. Hence it is said that this bridge bridging the space and the time.
I took this photo on Friday afternoon through the car window, again. I am sorry that my husband wasn’t able to stop the car for me to take more photos. There were several horses around there but I managed to catch only one of them. Yet I can be satisfied with this photo because I took it while the car was in speed. I didn’t notice the couple on the bridge until I saw the photo on my computer.
Please, click on the photo to see more details! :-)

7 comments:

Michele said...

Look how green it is. Like a plush carpet. Pretty good photo out of a moving car... impressive.
The arches are very nice. I like that. It's a terrific photo.

Lara said...

oh, what a wonderful picture this is! the green is so soothing, and the bridge just fits into this nature!

Max-e said...

This is a lovely old bridge - going back to the 16th century. Wow, I bet it could tell some stories. Not a bad photo from a moving car.

Andrea said...

I like very much when you write about history.
And I also like the picture:a bridge from green to green.

Bye

Gerald (Ackworth born) said...

Oh what a gorgeous bridge - well captured -- I'd crop some of the foreground and the background and then you've got a great panorama with the horse and the tree perfectly positioned near the central arch.

Anonymous said...

What a nice bridge!!! I adore such style, it reminds me about ancient times and castles. The grass is outstanding, so green...

LR Photography said...

Lovely place Meda!